Home Damaged by Hurricane Matthew? Here's What You Need to Do

posted over 3 years ago by bbrainerd from City of Savannah Housing Department
This update is over 30 days old.

Households (both renters and homeowners) who have experienced a loss from a disaster should take the following steps immediately:

  1. Contact your insurance company first to file a claim. Any federal assistance will require submitting insurance claim documentation.

  2. Register with FEMA online at disasterassistance.gov or call 800-621-3362. If you use TTY, call 800-462-7585.

All survivors with disaster-related damage to their homes should apply for federal assistance. Individuals and families who either own or rent their home may be eligible for housing needs assistance.

If a resident has insurance, he or she must first seek assistance through their insurance company. If a resident does not have insurance or if insurance does not cover the entirety of the damage, a resident may then be considered for housing assistance.

Individuals should register with FEMA now and assistance will become available once Chatham County is designated for this type of assistance.


No comments yet.

Post a new comment

News by topic

Other recent news